“Short Artistic and Sentimental Review” is the title of this unattributed Q & A, twenty questions that were posed to Valentino in 1922, soon after the release of “Blood and Sand.” His answers are both revealing and a reflection of the image he wanted to create in the minds of movie-goers at that time. This document was on display in 2009 at the Museum of Cinema in Turin, Italy, as part of an exhibit dedicated to Rudy’s life and career. Please note that strictly speaking not all of his answers fully align with the facts.
1. Your regular first and last name? Rodolfo Valentino; in English, it’s Rudolph.
2. Your nickname? Rudy
3. What is the first film you made? “The Married Virgin,” directed by Joseph Maxwell.
4. What is your favorite role? The one I played in my last film, “Blood and Sand.”
5. Do you like criticism? Yes, a lot.
6. Do you have a fetish? Yes, my wife.
7. What is your favorite color? Black Iris
8. What is your favorite perfume? Maharajah
9. What are your defects? I am irascible and nervous. I have a quick temper, plus many more.
10. Do you smoke? Yes, lots of cigarettes.
11. Are you a gourmand? Not really.
12. What is your motto? “Post Tenebras Lux.”
13. Are you faithful? Yes, very.
14. What is your ambition? For the world to like me.
15. What are your good points? I think I have one or two small ones, but I don’t know what they are.
16. Your favorite authors? D’Annunzio, Dante, Carducci, Maupassant, Hugo, Baudelaire.
17. Are you superstitious? No.
18. Your favorite composers? Mozart, Puccini, Mascagni, Wagner.
19. Your favorite artist? Raphael.
20. Your favorite photo? The one I give you.